David Hare

(1917 – 1992)


David Hare, a sculptor, painter, and photographer, was a prominent figure among the first generation of New York School artists. His welded-metal abstract sculptures, for which he is best known, were deeply influential to European Surrealism. During the 1940s, he became involved with a group of surrealists who had fled European fascism, including André Breton, Marcel Duchamp, and Max Ernst. Hare adopted the surrealist idea of free association, and was intrigued by the way line and form could define space.

Hare began to concentrate on painting in the late 1950s and printed multiple times at Tamarind during the 1970s and 80s, using the lines and forms of lithography to create images of abstracted, sexualized figures.

He taught at the Maryland Institute of Art in Baltimore, from which he received an honorary doctorate, and at the New York Studio School, and was a visiting artist at various institutions. He was included in the Bienal de São Paulo of 1951 and 1957, and in 1958 he received a sculpture commission for the Uris building at 750 Third Avenue, New York. His works were exhibited widely in Europe and the United States and collected by many major museums such as the Museum of Modern Art, New York; the Guggenheim Museum, New York; the Hayward Gallery, London; and the Albright-Knox Art Gallery, Buffalo.

http://www.davidhareart.com/DH/WELCOME.html

X