Born in Indianapolis, Indiana; lives in Albuquerque, New Mexico.
Garo Antreasian was Tamarind's first technical director and master printer when Tamarind Lithography Workshop, Inc. opened in Los Angeles during the summer of 1960. After one year, he returned to his teaching position at the Herron School of Art and Design, and then joined Clinton Adams at the University of New Mexico three years later. At UNM, Antreasian taught in the Department of Art and Art History until his retirement in 1987, and was co-director, with Adams of Tamarind Institute 1970-71.
When he went to Tamarind, Antreasian was one of very few artists with significant technical skill in lithography. He began studying lithography while still in high school, then pursued formal art training at the Herron School of Art and Design, where he received his BFA in 1948. In addition, he studied printmaking at the Art Students’ League under Will Barnet and at Atelier 17 with Stanley William Hayter in the late 1940s in New York.
Antreasian continues to paint and make lithographs.